At the forefront of tourism knowledge creation
Roskilde University’s Centre for Tourism Research (CfTR) carries out cutting edge interdisciplinary research of central relevance for both tourism practitioners and researchers.
CfTR develops knowledge about tourism and travel consumption, production, impacts and sustainability. The research centre is multi-disciplinary, and combines approaches from within Humanities, Social Sciences and Technical and Natural Sciences.
We carry out practitioner relevant research in close collaboration with public and private tourism businesses and organizations, as well as tourists and other relevant actors in the tourism system.
CfTR counts a number of researchers with extensive experience within the various fields of tourism research.
The centre has a unique composition of researchers from different disciplines within the Departments of Social Sciences and Business, Humans and Technologies as well as Communication and Arts:
- Matias Thuen Jørgensen (Head of Centre, Associate Professor, Department of Social Sciences and Business)
- Jane Widtfeldt Meged (Associate Professor, Department of People and Technology)
- Jens Friis Jensen (Teaching Associate Professor, Department of Communication and Arts)
- Lars Fuglsang (Professor, Department of Social Sciences and Business)
- Jon Sundbo (Professor, Department of Social Sciences and Business)
- Susanne Haraszuk (MA [Communication Studies], Cand. comm m. geografi, Department of People and Technology)
- Flemming Sørensen (Professor MSO, Department of Social Sciences and Business)
- Christine Revsbech Jensen (Postdoc., Department of People and Technology)
- Michael Haldrup (Professor MSO, Department of Communication and Arts)
- Jonas Larsen (Professor, Department of People and Technology)
- Jørgen Ole Bærenholdt (Professor, Space, Place, Mobility and Urban Studies)
Research done by CfTR members is continuously published in international leading tourism journals and in other international outlets. Most recent publications include:
CfTR research projects
CfTR takes part in numerous national and international research projects about tourism and related issues. This research is often carried out in close collaboration with the different stakeholders of the tourism system. Recent research projects include: